Thursday, July 26, 2012

Reading Review : Mindy Kaling

I know that if I am to have a blog, I should pick a subject to dedicate my blog to and stick to it. I am not very good at doing as I am told and therefore I am going to be adding more things to my blog simply because I wish. :) Lately I have been on a reading frenzy. Partly because I have to much time on my hand and mostly because I have to much time on my hands. I have been checking out a book at my local library only to finish it within a 24 hour time period, return it and check out another. I saw a sign in the library that mentioned speed reading, I suppose that this is what I am doing. On another note, why have I been buying books that I am only going to read once( I absolutely hate reading what I already read, I do the same thing with movies as well), when I could have been checking them out at the library for a 100% savings? I am rediculous, that is why. I now have a new found love for my public library.

Enter: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(And Other Concerns)
I saw a review for this book in a magazine a few years/months ago, I'm not too sure when, but when I saw it on display my jaw dropped and I took a look around to make sure no one saw me making such a big deal out of a library book. I am a fish out of water. I had just finished reading Chelsea Handler's Bang Bang about a month or so ago and ever since then I have been craving to dedicate myself to a good read. I loved Bang Bang. I had never read written by a comic before because not until about a year ago did I even develop the slightest interest in becoming a book worm nor did I imagine myself blogging about it.
The other of this book has alot of similarites to Chelsea Handler and kind of compares herself with out comparing herself to Tina Fey and Chelsea Handler both. Which I then made a mental note to check out Tina Fey's book next. In comparison to Bang Bang, I am more fond of Mindy Kaling. Chelsea is deffinetely more provacative and talks more about sex,, drugs, alcohol and black men that Kaling although Handler is still oh-so-funny in her vulgar way. Kaling is funny but is also a bit conservative. I like this about her, it is not to say she is old fashioned and make her sound like someones grandma but she is old fashioned.
I absolutely love her opinions on things. She reminds me alot of myself; opinionated, passive agressive and adolesent issues with weight. Although my issues have followed all the way untill present day and the bullies didn't start in on my in high school, they started way before. I read this book super fast because I was super eager to find out what she was going to say next. I want to see her as a role model now. You know, I think I will just say she is now. She needs a poster. I highly recommend this one.

Favorite Quote That Stuck With Me :
“The chorus of “Jack and Diane” is: Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone. Are you kidding me? The thrill of living was high school? Come on, Mr. Cougar Mellencamp. Get a life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment